Add a Record to a Form
One of the key activities performed on ActivityInfo is data collection. Users can add Records to a Form. The correct Permission levels must have been set for each user according to the intention of the Administrator of the Database. The following article describes the way to add a Record to a Form.
Keep in mind the following:
- The maximum number of Records that can be added in a Form is 200,000 Records.
- Maximum length of a Text field record value: 1024 characters
- Maximum length of a Multi-line Text field record value: 65536 characters
- Maximum Attachment size: 10 MB
- Maximum number of Attachments per field: 20 attachments
How to add a new Record to a Form
- Click on the "Add record" button.
- In the Data Entry page start entering your data into each of the fields. When you are adding Records, you will only see the fields that are related to the answers you provide. Fields that have been added with a Relevance rule will only appear if you fulfil the rules.
- If the Form is using Section headers, you can easily navigate from one section to another by selecting it.
- Section headers that include fields which have been filled in correctly will be marked with green. If they have been filled in incorrectly they will be marked with red.
If you add data that correspond to an existing record you will be notified so as to update the correct record.
- If the Form contains a Serial Number Field you don't need to fill it in. It is automatically assigned by ActivityInfo.
- When entering the date in the Date field keep in mind that the date format used across the ActivityInfo platform is the International date format "YYYY-MM-DD". This means that no matter which locale or browser you are using and regardless the way you insert a date, ActivityInfo will always provide this date format.
- Instead of manually writing the Date, you can select it from the Calendar.
- In Quantity fields, the decimal point or decimal comma will be used automatically based on the language you are working in.
- Fill in all the required fields. In case you miss a required field you will not be able to save the data you entered. The required fields will be marked with a "REQUIRED" box and will be highlighted in red if you try to save without filling them in.
- If the Form includes a Required Subform you will need to add Records to the Subform too in order to save the Record of the Form.
- If the Form includes a Multi-line field, and you want to type a long text, you can navigate up and down the field using the bar that appears on the right of the box. To do this drag the bar up or down. You can also expand the box by dragging its corner.
- In Reference fields and Single Selection fields that appear as a drop-down menu you can start typing and select the answer from the list of options. In cascading Reference fields, if there is only one option for the cascading fields, they will be automatically filled in.
If you find that the required record is missing when you are entering a Reference field response, you can add a record in the referenced form directly by selecting "Add reference record in ...". You will be navigated to the referenced form where you can enter the new record. Once completed, you will be returned to your original form to continue data entry.
Note: this option is only visible if you have adequate permissions to add a record in the referenced form.
- If a field includes an Input Mask you will be asked to provide your answer in a specific format. Take a look at the Input Mask characters to make yourself familiar with the various types.
- You can also attach documents and images to the Form if it contains an Attachment field.
- You can also add a signature by drawing it.
- If a field includes a Validation rule your answer would need to match the rule in order to be accepted.
- Click on the "Save record" button to save the Record you added.
You can navigate in the Form with your Keyboard too:
- Tab: Move downwards
- Tab + SHIFT: Move upwards
- Arrow down: Reveal drop-down menu
- ENTER: Select an option from a drop-down menu
- Space bar: Select or deselect an option from a multiple selection field (check box)
When you are adding Records you will only see the fields that are related to the answers you provide. Fields that have been added with a Relevance rule will only appear if you fulfil the condition.