XLS forms in ActivityInfo
XLSForm is a widely-used standard for defining mobile data collection questionnaires. ActivityInfo is using a data model that is closer to that of a relational database, which leads to some important differences between an XLSForm and an ActivityInfo form, particularly when it comes to complex select questions and repeating groups.
Forms that contain unsupported features will still be successfully imported into ActivityInfo, though questions and formulas with unsupported features will be omitted.
“Select_one” questions in XLSForms will either be converted into a Single Select field in ActivityInfo, or a Reference field, depending on a few criteria:
- If there are more than 100 choices, the field will become a Reference Field.
- If the choice list has additional “attribute” columns, for example, like those used to create cascading selects in XLSForm, then any question that uses that choice list will become a Reference field in ActivityInfo, and the choice list will be imported as a separate form, with one field for each choice attribute.
- If the choice list is referenced by other choice_filters, it will also become a new ActivityInfo form, and will be referenced by other choice lists.
- In most cases, ActivityInfo will not respect the “appearance” column of questions.
- ActivityInfo does not support default values
- ActivityInfo does not support triggers
- ActivityInfo supports constraints, but not custom constraint messages.