Translate a Database manually
The translation feature is currently in beta. This means there may still be small bugs, and not all planned features are available yet.
In addition to automatic translation, you can translate a Database manually. This allows you to start translating a Database on your own or correct automatically translated entries which do not reflect the translation you preferred.
The first step in setting up a multi-lingual database is choosing your "original language". This is the language in which you will design your Database and Forms. You can then add translations from this "original language" into additional languages. To view the new translated version you can "Switch language" from the profile menu to temporarily update your language or change your preferred language.
- For a user to be able to translate a Database, they must have been assigned the "Translate database" permission.
- Note that the Form designer will always show the Form in the original language, regardless of which language you have selected.
- If you already have an ActivityInfo database that combines multiple languages in the Form and Field labels, you will need to remove the extra language before using the translation feature.
- Only languages supported by ActivityInfo can be used with the translation feature. if you do need multiple languages, you can design your Database and Forms in any language, though the system messages like "This field is required" will not match the language of your Forms.
How to translate a Database manually
- Navigate to the Translations section on the Database Design Settings page of the Database you wish to translate.
- If the original language has not been defined, click on 'Undefined', select the original language and click on 'Confirm & continue' to add it. If the original language has been defined skip to the next step.
- Click on 'Add language' and select the new language to translate into in the side panel.
- Click on 'Done' to add it.
You can repeat this step to add more languages.
- Once the target language is added, you can either translate the Database automatically or click on 'Enter translation mode' to start translating the Database manually.
- You can start translating the Database, the Form fields (along with their Descriptions, Choices etc.) using the interface.
- Click on the name of a Form to navigate to the Form, click on 'Back to ....' to navigate back to the Database.
- Click on 'Save' to save your changes or 'Exit translation mode' to exit the interface.
Switch your language temporarily by choosing "Switch language" from the profile menu If you switch to a language for which the Database has translations available, the translated version will be displayed in the Data Entry, Table View and Database Design section.
- If you have already translated the Database automatically, you can view which fields have been automatically translated and remove the flag for them once you have reviewed them.